1. What is your full name, grade, and age? Esmee Aroha Wendy Brennan. (Esmee means love and Aroha means love in Maori- born on Valentines Day and I’m half New Zeelander and half English). Age 6 and in Year 2 at school.
2. Which gymnastics studio do you go to and what level are you? Erewash Valley Gymnastics. I will be starting compulsory 5 when I turn 8.
3. How and when did you start gymnastics? I was 2, almost 3, when I started dance!
4. What is your favorite event and/or skill? I love tumbling, so currently round off, back flip; although, I have just learned a free cartwheel on the floor. I like them as they are exciting and fast paced.
5. Who are your all time favorite gymnast? I love Simone Biles, she is such an inspiration. I also love Claudia Fragipane as she is a pocket rocket and fab on the floor! I also adore Ellie and Becky Downie as they live really close to me.
6. What is your favorite quote about gymnastics or life? “Set your goals, follow your dreams, listen to your heart and don’t let anything stand in your way.” – Brandy Johnson.
7. What inspires you? Seeing gymnastics on tv. I loved watching the Olympics! I also love to see others in my gym practicing and learing new skills. It inspires me to learn more too!
8. What are your ultimate goals as a gymnastics? To go to the Olympics and represent either England or New Zealand.
9. Three words that describe you best? I like to please, hardworking, and funny.
10. Besides gymnastics, what other activities do you enjoy? I spend lots of time training at the gym but outside of the gym I like trampolining, sports acro, swimming, riding my bike, running, playing netball, and reading. I am a bookworm!
11. Who would you meet if you could meet anyone, alive or dead, and why? Currently Simone Biles since she just won the Olympics and is an incredible gymnast. I want to be as good as her someday, and I’d ask her advice how I can be the best I can be.
12. What is your favorite subject in school? I am in Year 2. I love English and Reading. I also really like Geography and History. I’m interested in finding out about the world.
13. If you could live off one food forever what would it be? Sweeties (candies), and Speghetti and Meatballs!
14. What 3 things would you bring with you on a deserted island? An Airtrack, a leotard and a book, (and my blanket!).
15. Do you have siblings or pets? I have a younger sister Josie who is 4 and a Boarder Collie dog called Jessie, he came to live with us all the way from New Zealand when my parents moved. We also have tropical fish.
16. What is your favorite book? I like so many books! I read at least 10, if not more each week! One is Somersaults and Dreams by Cate Shearwater. I got my copy signed at the British Gymnatics Competition!
17. What is your favorite movie? I love Disney movies! The Lion King is one of my favorites.
18. Tell us anything else about yourself that you would like others to know. This year I was lucky enough to go back to New Zealand as my aunty got married and I was the flowergirl. I love traveling and finding out about different places. I have just been selected to be a bow ambassador (for hairbows) by Phunki Boutique, which made me really happy. I love leotards! I spend all my time in one, but especially love the ones with open-backs. I also love foxes; perhaps because my Nana had a pet fox called Rusty, or maybe from a running race (Lakeland 50 and Lakeland 1) where there is someone dressed up as a fox to start the race (I ran the Lakeland 1 for the first time when I was 3), either way, my house is full of foxes and I love him!