HAPPY EVERYTHING, EVERYDAY!!
This year we want you to become the best version of yourself. One way to do that is to choose happiness. We may not be able to choose what happens to us everyday, but we can choose to look to the brighter side of things. There is a little bit of sunshine in everyday if you just keep your chin up.
Sometimes keeping our chin up can be hard. We get tired from the everyday mundane, overwhelmed with all the to-doots, anxious with the pace of today's world, all the feels that circulate on every waking minute… especially in the winter... (if you live anywhere near Grand Rapids, Michigan) We literally lack the sun here from December-May. It can leave you feeling mad, sad, low on energy, all the feels that spiral you down to a depression if you let it.
Below are 5 tips to help you fight the winter blues:
1. Start your days with a 5-minute meditation. Sit in the same spot every morning so that it becomes a habit and your special quiet space. Set your timer for 5 minutes. For 5 minutes just sit and focus on your breathing. You should complete approximately 30 deep and steady breaths (6 breaths per minute). Start your day with a fresh clean slate!
2. Drink plenty of water and eat as many fruits and vegetables as possible. Smoothies take about 5-7 minutes to make in the morning and are a great way to start your day. Always keep fresh cut veggies and fruits available for quick and convenient snacks. Curb your sweet tooth by changing your palette, which will only make you crash and burn. Use Pinterest and Youtube for fun and easy ideas for on the go!
3. Anytime throughout the day you are feeling sluggish or down, do a backbend! Heart-opener yoga poses such as bridge, wheel, or even just clasping your fingers behind your back, will give you a boost. Light stretches throughout the day will keep the body oxygenated and refreshed.
4. Keep your thoughts, words, and actions positive. This sounds simple but can be quite hard. But like with anything: practice, practice, practice… The moment you hear a negative thought in your head, switch the switch and find your breath again. Take a moment and think of something you are grateful for- a friend, a flower, your bed, your arms and legs. There is always something to be grateful for!
5. Before you go to bed at night, train your brain to think about the best parts of your day. When you go to bed at night, the minute your mind starts to go over all of your deadlines, things you said that day that you wish you could change, money you owe, whatever it is, shift your focus again back to your breath. Take a moment, and then think of the highlights of your day. Relax your body, mind, and soul. Give yourself a break knowing that you did the very best you could!
Begin again tomorrow...
Peace and Love,